Friday, March 25, 2011

How I tried to improve WIFI reception in the garage

By: Bob Casiano



Figure:1 The Squirrel Project

Figure 1  The Squirrel Project


“Squirrel!! Moment”. While working on the ATX-FPS-v0 project, I realized I needed to improve my WIFI signal strength. After reviewing several Google listed projects on using a Pringle can, soup can, etc, I decided to go with a coffee can. Since I happen to have one nearby. This project will be posted later this week in my projects section. While working quickly on, what I thought would be a quick and dirty project, the software I downloaded to monitor signal strength turned out to have an infinite loop in the dll it installed on my laptop!!! So, after rebooting, for a windows update of course, I got the blue screen of death with an explanation about the dll! Three hours later and pretty much out of patience to work on any project. I hit F8, reset the windows startup to the previous working login, setup the virus checker to start up after reboot. This took another 2.5 hours to complete! Now, during that time I was able to trim, mow, vacuum up the leaves on my sidewalks and driveways. And, take care of a neighbors dog while they are hunting this weekend. So, I wasted a day screwing around with an unimportant side project when I could have done something more constructive. Like fixing my fence. Well, the next time I have a “Squirrel” moment, I’ll remind myself about the WIFI episode.

0 comments:

Post a Comment